Friday, March 1, 2019

The Joys of Jell-O Recipe #169: Cranberry Sauce

Even though we have a long time to wait until Thanksgiving, I can never get enough cranberry goodness. So, when I was looking for a vintage Jell-O recipe to make without having to buy many ingredients, my eye was immediately drawn to the several cranberry-based gelatin recipes in TJOJ, specifically the Cranberry Sauce, as it requires only cranberries, water, gelatin, sugar, and salt. 
 

Now, of course, I wanted to make this dish as crantastic as possible, so I replaced the water and flavored Jell-O for unflavored gelatin and cranberry juice with a splash of lemon extract. I also ran out of sugar before I hit the 2/3 cup mark, so I just left it at that, thinking the juice would provide enough extra sweetness.

 
The recipe is relatively straightforward, except that I think I made an error in the sieving stage. When straining the cranberry mixture, I had a hard time expressing much pulp, so I added everything from the top of the strainer bowl back in as well as what little pulp I could scrape off of the bottom, including the skins. That made the texture a little strange, and added some extra tartness. I reckon it's just a little extra fiber, but if I were making this again, I would just strain the mixture and not worry about getting the pulp back in. I don't think it makes a lot of difference.


The end result is truly a strong expression of what cranberries are. It tastes like canned cranberry sauce times thirty. I actually have to pour extra sugar or honey on top to make it pleasant to eat, so I strongly recommend adding all the recommended sugar if using 100% cranberry juice. If you are concerned about using too much sugar, I would recommend using half cranberry juice and half water, and in that case, I think you could get away with half a cup or so. I do recommend adding a little lemon extract, and for once I don't mind the salt called for in the recipe.


This dish is quite pretty (it would look gorgeous served in a crystal bowl), and for me it made eight relish-sized servings. I think it would go great with turkey or any other poultry, as well as with pork. While I will always default to my traditional cranberry relish (one bag of fresh cranberries, one orange cut into eighths, and sugar to taste, whizzed in a food processor for approximately five seconds or until finely diced, then left to stew in its juices for at least an hour), this is easily my second choice for a cranberry dish to go along with white meat, as it is potent and has a much more glaze-like texture than the canned variety even when fully set, plus it doesn't look like it came out of can.


Oh, and as an added bonus, I tried this recipe with its serving suggestion of a mint garnish and mayonnaise. Why mayonnaise? I don't know, it seems like mayonnaise was a hit fashion accessory in the 1960s, as they recommend serving about half of the recipes in this book with it. Anyhow, I actually enjoyed eating the sauce this way, as the mayonnaise does make it creamy and it cuts the sourness significantly. It also makes it taste a bit more savory. The mint doesn't add much flavorwise, but it certainly looks nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment