Sunday, March 19, 2023

The Joys of Jell-O Recipe #154: Sea Dream Salad

Howdy Jigglers! I made this Sea Dream Salad several weeks ago when I realized I just happened to have all the ingredients anyway, then I completely forgot to write a post about it until just now. Don't worry, though: just because I forgot about it for a while doesn't mean I was subconsciously trying to purge this seafood mold from my memory. Just trust me on this.


The mold part of this salad cooks up about like any other savory Jell-O mold: dissolve gelatin in hot water, add vinegar and other flavorings, and cool, except this time we also have to strain out the grated cucumber because this is a clear mold that is merely cucumber infused. Then chill and unmold.

As usual I omitted the grated onion, but I followed the recipe exactly with the exception of using real lime juice and unflavored gelatin instead of lime Jell-O. I also added one drop of green food coloring and one drop yellow coloring to get the right color. Just green is a little too "luck of the Irish" to come across as "lime".

I was pleased to be able to use my mini ring molds for this, as it made just the perfect size of salad for a nice light side dish or appetizer with the shrimp in the middle.


Weirdly enough, this salad is pretty good! Little shrimps within a cucumber-y, lime-y, slightly spicy gelatin ring actually tastes okay. This is a very modernist take on a salad, but it is light and refreshing and flavorful.

I would probably serve this salad to guests as an appetizer before a relatively formal meal, but it would also be good at a picnic or brunch. I don't know how I feel about adding cream cheese to this, though. I feel like that would make it too heavy and rich. The original version, however, I can unreservedly recommend to anyone who enjoys a good shrimp cocktail, which was a total surprise to me. I thought that surely this recipe would be gross. So good job, General Foods, for shocking this old Jell-O hound.


No comments:

Post a Comment