Saturday, September 29, 2018

The Joys of Jell-O Recipe #10: Spiced Fruit Cups

Another recipe I made that I failed to get pictures of the end result was Spiced Fruit Cups, which is a fairly good idea. It's essentially just mixed fruit folded into cinnamon-spiked gelatin. Now, General Foods suggests that any fruit flavor can be used, but that didn't sit right with me. Do you really think raspberry and cinnamon would play nice together? Or lemon and cinnamon?



Me either, so I bought a package of a Jell-O flavor that hadn't been invented at the time this recipe was written--peach. Peaches and cinnamon go great together, so that's what I got. Otherwise I made it as written.



The end result was fine, except that the peach flavor seems more than a little artificial, and the cinnamon somehow highlights that fact. The cinnamon also seemed to have a hard time blending into the gelatin, so you encounter clumps of it every so often. But the color was certainly reminiscent of spiced peaches, and the fruit went surprisingly well with the rest of it.

However, if I were to make this recipe again, I would probably use unflavored gelatin and peach nectar with diced peaches in it, as well as add a pinch of nutmeg or cloves to really punch up the spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment