Saturday, September 29, 2018

The Joys of Jell-O Recipe #8: Raspberry Chantilly

Here's another recipe I made quite a long time ago, but in this case I actually do have ingredients and results shots in addition to pictures of the recipe itself. Raspberry Chantilly is basically whipped raspberry gelatin mixed in with whipped cream and a little bit of peach jam.

Sorry about these images being sideways, but I tried uploading it at all different angles and it wouldn't go the way I wanted.


Making the recipe is easy enough, except that peach jam is too viscous and sticky to mix in evenly with anything, so it is difficult to distribute the jam even vaguely evenly. Aside from that, though, this dish comes together in a snap and makes quite a lot of fluffy, fruity cream.



However, the end result was a little lacking. Firstly, mixing Jell-O with whipped cream does dilute the intense sweetness of the gelatin, but then adding peach jam takes it back over the top, especially since I tended to bite into big clumps of it infrequently, for the reasons I described above. Secondly, even though I really only added a pinch of salt to the mix, as instructed, the salt was too noticeable in the final product, and I didn't care for that. It certainly was pretty, though!




As I find myself thinking time and again, though, if you would take this basic formula and swap out Jell-O for unflavored gelatin and a tart red juice (perhaps pomegranate or cranberry, if raspberry juice is too expensive or hard to obtain), it would create a nicely balanced, tasty dessert, so I still recommend the recipe with the aforementioned alterations.


No comments:

Post a Comment