Sunday, September 30, 2018

The Joys of Jell-O Recipe #24: Cherry Cola Mold

Okay, so it's been quite a while since I've posted a Jell-O recipe. Mostly that's due to having bought a house and otherwise staying very busy, but I also just haven't made that many Jell-O recipes. And, sadly, I didn't get pictures of the few I did make, but I'm still going to jot down my thoughts on each one and post the recipes.

The other thing I have started doing differently is making these recipes out of order. Instead of doing them as the book presents them (which would leave me stranded on "savory Jell-O dish" island for quite a while without a break), I've started going in a more-or-less random order based on my husband's recommendations and/or what I have on hand at the moment. Hopefully this will be a little more entertaining to follow along with, as even in the dessert sections, there are lots of consecutive Bavarian and Crown Jewel recipes, so hopefully switching it up will help us all avoid burning out on such repetition.

The first recipe I made was the Cherry Cola Mold. This was chosen by my husband because, frankly, cola and mayonnaise don't seem like the snuggliest of bedfellows. I made this recipe exactly as written, which is easy and straightforward (like most Jell-O recipes), except that I omitted the nuts. Maybe there's a gelatin recipe I would like better with nuts, but up to this point I haven't found it. I also found it very odd that this recipe calls for both cherry and strawberry gelatin. Wouldn't it be more cherry-y with two packages of cherry Jell-O?
As far as the finished product goes, the gelatin takes on a dusty rose color due to the cherry syrup, cola, and dairy ingredients, and it's smooth apart from the chunky ingredients.
The flavor...well, it's okay. It certainly tastes like cherry, with a tanginess provided by the pineapples and mayonnaise. The cola flavor almost entirely gets lost in the mix, while the cream cheese and mayo just make the whole thing so fatty it's almost too rich. Overall, it's merely alright, though I am impressed that you can add mayo, cream cheese, and cola to Jell-O and end up with a dish where none of those ingredients are distinguishable.
If I were General Foods and had the idea for a cherry cola mold, though, I think I could have done better, and maybe someday I will try this and report back on how it works out:
-Take the capacity of your mold, subtract half a cup, then divide by two.
-Take the quantity you came up with in the first step, and bring that much of your favorite cola to a boil--bonus points if it's cherry flavored.
-Dissolve 6 ounces of cherry Jell-O into the boiling cola.
-Take the same amount you calculated again of cold cola and add it to the gelatin mixture.
-Pour gelatin mixture into the mold and let cool until soft-set (or, as official Jell-O parlance would have it, very thick), then stir in half a cup of maraschino cherries, optionally adding a splash of the cherry syrup.
-Chill until firm, then unmold.
-Optional: leave out any maraschino syrup, continue thickening the gelatin until set but not firm, then add a thin layer of the syrup for a colorful layered effect.
While that dish might not be as pretty or Jell-O salad-y, I think it would be more successful at meeting the goal of "Cherry Cola Mold." It would taste like cherries and cola instead of cherries and pineapple. As written, though, this recipe is passable taste-wise, just very confusing. I would not make it again.
Next up: a few recipes I did a while ago, then back to the regularly scheduled "I make one recipe then post about it, with pictures of what it actually looks like" routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment